Sunday, August 16, 2009

Yard Sailors

Our neighborhood had a yard sale yesterday - a massive, chaotic, yard sale. I witnessed some characters who just wanted to attact attention to themselves. Here is a list of what happened yesterday:

1. We didn't set out the night before, and got a late start in the morning. Scott spent most of his time pulling stuff out of the house and throwing it onto the lawn, while I set it out for sale and tended to the customers.
2. We sold almost every light fixutre we had, including allowing people to come into our house to see which ones they liked, and if they liked it, we would take it down for them.
3. We had a sign that said, "kitchen cabinets & appliances for sale inside".
4. We had several groups of people come into our house to check out the cabinets.
5. 1 guy haggled us on the cabinets, and scott said, No. We ended up selling it to a couple in Kingsport, who is coming over next weekend to take them down.
6. We had alot of friends and a few co-workers stop buy to see the house. Even Scott saw some people he worked with stop over.
7. I saw a guy in black skintight leather pants in a sailor hat wearing a bra with a gold disco top on riding a bike and singing out loud, "Blackwater" by the Doobie Brothers, with a few of his very frat-ish/hippie friends.
8. A group of kids had caught a wild squirrel in my yard and put it in a bird cage. Then I told a few bystanders they caught a squirrel, and a woman immediately yelled out loud, "You're gonna get rabies!!"
9. This really obnoxious kid from across the street, yelled "SHAVED ICE!! COME AND GET YOUR SHAVED ICE! IT'S JUST A BUCK FIFTY YA'LL!" over and over and over again, and by noon, I was soo hungry, I almost went over there to get me some.
10. My neighbors sold kitchen countertops at their yard sale. They were also trying to make some money by selling random furniture stuff for like $400.
11. My neighbor from down the street worked for the neighborhood organization and she made me pay her $8 for the yard sale. She also told me she made $700 on Friday alone!
12. People always wanted half of whatever price I quoted them.
Customer: "How much you want for this christmas tree?"
Me: "Well, I dunno, how about $2 for that 6ft Christmas tree with lights and a stand, with various decorations included?"
Customer: "How 'bout I give you $1 for it?"
Me: (Without hesitation) "Sure, why not, you wouldn't be getting a deal at $2, but at $1? Absolutely."
13. My boss's mom and church talked me into buying a blue chair with an ottoman for $5. But I paid them $10 instead.
14. We sold 2 bikes for $18. Now that's a deal on a bike.
15. A woman came over and asked Scott about a set of blinds and asked him if they worked, and Scott said yea of course, then he picked it up, pulled the strings and it fell out. Needless to say, she left.
16. I received several business cards and phones of people who do housework. I'm going to call them next week.
17. We currently have no lightfixtures in our house except the kitchen and bath. Because we sold them all.
18. I wish I had of taken some photos of the sale. :(



No comments:

Post a Comment