Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Facebook


Does anyone else get curious about who runs Facebook? Hmm...guess that's just me. Anyway, if I find a company that I like, generally information-ridden sites - I tend to want to know everything about them.

For example, BustedTees.com - I love their stuff, quality of shirts is great, and shipping arrives within 3 days. Well, I visit almost every link on the website that pertains to privacy, terms of use, about, faq, and so forth. On their "about" page, I learn that they are a sub-company for CollegeHumor.com which is a tastelessly funny website that has now turned into a TV show on MTV or something. So that kind of information is sort of neat.

Another example, Woot.com - this site to me has the simplicity of purchasing a product that more than likely I will not need or want at a great price with great shipping rates, yet all the flare of an information engrossing site. I learned from my brief research on Search Engine Optimization that sites/pages with more literature tend to be organically searched than sites with more pictures and less keywords. So Woot.com makes it simple to buy a product off their site, gives me more reason to stay on their pages longer with an amusing vignette of the product, and tons of useless information provided by their obsessed cult fans. They must be doing something right.

Finally, Facebook.com - great scott, this site is the abyss of wasting time. Whoever designed this website must have had lots of aquaintences and no friends - because, folks with lots of friends don't need a website to keep in touch with them all. Who sits there and thinks to him/herself, "Hmm, how can I keep in touch with my not-so-close friends? Gee, they don't talk to me very much, in fact, I only see them once every other year in the mall parking lot. Hmm...?? Well, there is already Myspace - wait! I could make a better, less creepy Myspace! In fact, I'll only allow my friends at Harvard to join. Yea, that's a great idea. It'll be a social club only for the Ivy Leaguers." Then they realized they could actually make advertising money by allowing other colleges to join their "super secret social club". Like other schools - MTSU came on board a year after Facebook began. I joined in March of 2005. Since it's inception, other no-name schools have also been "allowed" to join. So now, it's not even a "super secret social club" anymore. Just another freakin' Myspace for normal people.

Anyway, Facebook is still kinda cool. Of course I checked out their about pages and so forth. I really enjoyed their "Facebook" page. It was neat to see all of the new developments, "2009 Intern Photos (reminds me of my intern days :P)", "Before&After Photos of their new office", general blogs the employees produce, and I remember stumbling onto a blog on their website when they were reaching their one hundred millionth "social networker". They provided a funny little video showing off their new office (which is now their old office), a mini drink fridge full of Red Bulls for the programmers, and stupid lunchbreak tricks they were doing with food.

Here's a video of one of their "Hackathons" - the end kinda makes me feel like I've achieved nothing at 25.




No comments:

Post a Comment