Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Aliens really do exist

I just filed my naturalization forms today. I'm gonna be an American. The processing times are running about 6 months, so hopefully, if all goes well, I'll swear an oath to be a good American, to not be an habitual drunkard, to promise to pay my taxes, and to fight for the country if it needs me. I think I can handle that.

For the last 25 years of my life, I thought it was kinda cool to be a "Resident Alien". There was even a point in my life during elementary school where I argued with friends and teachers that I really am an alien, and I would flash my green card at them as proof that aliens really do exist and that I was one of them. Of course, I began to realize that I "wasn't" an alien, but I still thought it was cool to tell people I was and flash my green card.

Unfortunately, I will miss my green card, and the fact that I won't be an alien anymore when this naturalization thing kicks in. My primary reason for getting my U.S. citizenship is to get a long-term passport. It's more difficult to travel abroad with just a travel document, which is the "passport" for permanent residents/green card holders/asylums/etc. It lasts for 12 months, and costs 3 times as much. I had to get one to visit Japan a few years back for school and it was a pain in the ass to obtain.

I'm planning on going out of the country next summer so hopefully my citizenship will roll in by the end of this year, and then immediately apply for a passport.

The government is requiring everyone to have a passport to travel even within the US. I'm not sure how true it is but that's what I saw at Walgreen's when I was getting my photos done.

No comments:

Post a Comment